What is TOEFL?
Test of English as Foreign Language or TOEFL is conducted to assess the English proficiency of students who want to study abroad.
The TOEFL test is most widely accepted and respected English language test in the world. It is recognized by more than 8,000 colleges, universities, and agencies in more than 130 countries. TOEFL is registered and administered by ETS (Educational Testing Service).
TOEFL is taken by students planning to study abroad as well as working professionals applying for Visa. Those seeking scholarships and certification programmes are also required to take the TOEFL exam.
Eligibility criteria for TOEFL
Any student who has passed 10+2 level of any recognised Indian Board of University is a suitable qualification to take the TOEFL. standard from a recognized educational institution or board can appear for this exam. Generally this test is taken by a candidate who wants to study outside his/her native country especially where english is not the native language.
There are four means of applying for the TOEFL
- Online: Students can fill a registration form on official website of College Board. Examination fee can be paid online through credit/ debit card. Payment can also be made using a registration voucher obtained from a local TOEFL IBT Test Resource Center.
- Phone: Students can call the designated number (which can be acquired from the Regional Registration Centre) and apply. Examination fee can be paid online through credit/ debit card. Students can also pay the fee using TOEFL voucher by phone.
- Mail: Download and fill the form available on the official website and send the form with the payment to the address on the form or to your Regional Registration Center (PDF). I f you register by mail you will need to enter certain codes manually that are input automatically online. If you do not receive a confirmation, call the location where you mailed your paperwork at least three business days before your registration deadline.
- TOEFL IBT Test Resource Center: In some areas, students can purchase test registration vouchers with local currency and/or register in person at a TOEFL iBT Test Resource Center. If that is not an option that you want to consider, you can use a registration voucher online from any computer or on the phone.
Types of Exam
There are two types of TOEFL exams.
- Internet Based Testing
This test is administered via the internet. The TOEFL IBT test measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level. The total time for TOEFL IBT is approx 3 hours divided between the following four sections of the exam.
- Reading: Measures the ability to understand academic reading. It consists of 3-5 academic reading passages followed by comprehension questions.
- Listening: Measures the ability to understand English as it is used in colleges and universities and universities. It consists of 4-6 lectures, which include classroom dialogue and 2-3 conversations that include two or more speakers in each case.
- Speaking: Measures the ability to speak English. It consists of 6 open-ended speaking questions, which require test-takers to speak into a microphone. Responses are recorded and scored by human graders.
- Writing: Measures the ability to write in a way that is appropriate for college and university course work. The TOEFL IBT contains an added 20 minute essay.
- Paper-Based Testing
Paper based testing is also known as institutional TOEFL. This test is administered by English language institutions around the world and is evaluated in a paper based format. The TOEFL PBT is a paper based test that measures your ability to use and understand English in a classroom in a college or at a university level. It measures how you can listen, read and write English. The duration of TOEFL PBT is approx 2.5 hours, with specific timings for each section.
TOEFL Paper based test is offered six times a year. In areas where the IBT is not available, a paper-based test (PBT) is the best option. The PBT TOEFL test comprises of three sections, listening comprehension, grammar and reading comprehension. Correct answers should be marked by pencil. Max points are 677. Except for TOEFL , you could pass one or two additional tests TWE (Test of Written English, composition) and TSE (Test of Spoken English) , plus 30-minute writing test (an English test).
The TOEFL test is offered in more locations around the world than any other English-language test. The TOEFL Internet Based Test is given 30-40 times in a year around the globe. Likewise the TOEFL Paper Based Test is offered in areas where the TOEFL Internet Based Test is not available. This test is given six times in a year.
Your scores are based on your performance in the test. You must answer at least one question each in reading and listening section, write at least one essay and complete at least one speaking task to receive an official score.
The breakup of the marks is a follows:
- Reading Section: ( Score of 0-30)
- Listening Section: ( Score of 0-30
- Speaking Section: ( Score of 0-30)
- Writing Section: ( Score of 0-30)
Total Score: 0-120
For a better understanding lets understand what 0-30 means:
- 0-14 = low
- 15-21 = intermediate
- 22-30 = high
In addition to your scores, your score includes performance feedback that is a brief report on your performance level and a description of the kinds of tasks that test takers like you to perform.